CS2 Data Structures Activity
Revision as of 15:19, 30 May 2014 by Jmcguffee
|Description||Using the HFOSS OpenMRS project to illustrate the use of data structures in a complex system|
|Source||POSSE 201405 Workshop Activity|
|Prerequisite Knowledge||CS1 and Java|
|Estimated Time to Completion||Varies , designed as one assignment or laboratory activity|
|Materials/Environment||Access to OpenMRS codebase|
|Rights||Licensed CC BY-SA|
|Turn In||Written artifact to Instructor|
Working Ideas (from TitanPad) TEMP - remove this section later
- Identify the course(s) the activity would be appropriate for.
- CS2 Data Structures Project based on the work of Darci's student Data Structure Example
- Briefly describe the activity.
- Find use of a specified data structure in the OpenMRS code base using a tool like Ag, explain the task that the data structure is used to accomplish, and explain why the data structure is a good or poor choice for accomplishing this task.
- How much time do you expect the HFOSS activity to take (# classes, # homework assignments, # lab activities, etc.)? Will the activity be completed in class or out of class?
- One homework assignment or lab activity.
- How does this activity relate to course goals/objectives?
- Describe the difference between a data structure and the implementation thereof.
- Explain the application of a data structure in a specific large complex software system
- Evaluate tradeoffs in selection of data structures.
- Analyze the time complexity of an algorithm that uses the data structure.
- What will students submit upon completion of the activity?
- A link to a place where the code is found in the codebase 
- A written description of the data structure used within the code and how the code works.
- How will you assess the submission?
- Students will get into groups of three and assess each other's work based on rubric provided by professor.
- Each group will provide a group response
- Each student will turn in the original response.
- List any question or concerns you have about implementing your activity.
- What type of support will you need to implement your activity?
- Darci will provide all support.