Data Visualization (Module)
THIS MODULE IS CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION
|Title||CS Principles: Data Visualization|
|Overview||This module aligns with CS Principles Big Idea #3: Data and Information|
|Prerequisite Knowledge||No prerequisite knowledge required|
|Learning Objectives|| At the end of this module, students should be able to:
- Background reading for teachers
- What is the expected knowledge level of the student?
- This activity is appropriate for beginning level students
- What is the rationale for this module?
- This module is designed to meet the CS Principles essential knowledge tasks related to open source software using materials created by the FOSS community
This module uses two activities
- Blog Infographic: http://foss2serve.org/index.php/Blog_Infographic_Project
- Think for Good - Hacking Government Open Data: http://foss2serve.org/index.php/Think_for_Good_-_Hacking_Government_Open_Data
A suggested sequence of activities is provided with additional (optional) extensions below. The timeline given assumes two days of class work, but the activities could be condensed into one class period if necessary.
|Pre-class work: Day 1||Visit DataKind http://www.datakind.org/projects and read the description of 1-2 project(s)||Come to class prepared to discuss (1) What your project was hoping to learn (2) what data they used (3) what tools were used to turn the data into information (4) what was learned as a result of the project (5) how was computer science/technology used in the collection of the data and the analysis process||20 minutes of homework time||This can be done individually, or students can be paired/grouped and assigned to projects|
|In-class activity: Day 1, part I||Class Discussion||Each group should briefly present their findings from the pre-class work||20 minutes of class time|
|In-class activity: Day 1, part II||Data Exploration|
|Pre-class work: Day 2|
|In-class activity: Day 2|
- What should the instructor know before using this module?
- What are some likely difficulties that an instructor may encounter using this module?
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
|Estimated Time to Completion||1-3 class periods depending on whether extensions are used|
|Materials/Environment||Internet access, for some activities students will need administrator privileges on their machines (the ability to install software)|
|Source||This module includes lessons created by a number of POSSE/TOS members - all linked lessons contain attribution|
|License||Under which license is this material made available? (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/)|
Suggestions for Open Source Community:
Suggestions for an open source community member who is working in conjunction with the instructor.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License