Linux Package Management (Distribute Your App)
|Title||Linux package management (distribute your app)|
|Overview||High level description of what the student will do|
|Learning Objectives||What should the student be able to do after completing this activity?|
Is there background reading material?
- What are the various software installation methods on Linux: http://www.howtogeek.com/191245/beginner-geek-how-to-install-software-on-linux/
- https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_packaging_standards
Are there other activities the student should have done first?
What is the rationale for this activity?
Include helpful hints to faculty here.
- Build your own linux package
- Learn about yum and dnf. Have students find it themselves. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNF_(software),
- Use an existing, easy, mature, yet small project like wget or top (or something that doesn't come standard on most systems) to have students compile and make and package.
- Have students rename it so the command line can be run as a test
- Have students host the package on a web source (ftp? Some free internet service that makes the .rpm accessible by URL)
- Have each student in the class pair up and try to install the other person's RPM and run the new command
- Package Repo location
What will the student hand in?
How will the activity be graded?
How will learning will be measured?
Include sample assessment questions/rubrics.
|Criteria||Level 1 (fail)||Level 2 (pass)||Level 3 (good)||Level 4 (exceptional)|
|The purpose of the project|
|Why the project is open source|
What should the instructor know before using this activity?
What are some likely difficulties that an instructor may encounter using this activity?
|ACM Knowledge Area/Knowledge Unit||What ACM Computing Curricula 2013 knowledge area and units does this activity cover? ACM_Body_of_Knowledge|
|ACM Topic||What specific topics are addressed? The Computing Curriucula 2013 provides a list of topics - https://www.acm.org/education/CS2013-final-report.pdf|
|Level of Difficulty||Is this activity easy, medium or challenging?|
|Estimated Time to Completion||How long should it take for the student to complete the activity?|
|Author||Who wrote this activity?|
|Source||Is there another activity on which this activity is based? If so, please provide a link to the original resource.|
|License||Under which license is this material made available? (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/)|
Suggestions for Open Source Community:
Suggestions for an open source community member who is working in conjunction with the instructor.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License