Stage 2 Activities
This POSSE is being hosted by the City University of New York. Stage 2 will be held at John Jay College of Criminal Justice.
- Meeting location: The College street address is: 524 West 59th St. New York, NY, 10019, but the best way to enter for POSSE is to use the entrance on 11th Ave. between 58th and 59th streets.
- Getting in: Security will have a list of names for the "POSSE Workshop" and 6.67 as the room. You will need a picture ID to get in.
- Meeting room: Once past security, take the elevator to the 6th floor (Press the button that says 6; ignore the buttons that say L1, L2, etc) We are in room 6.67. The sixth floor has areas for Math and CS, Interdisciplinary studies, and Moot Court. Rooms 6.61 and 6.67 are opposite the glass doors that lead to departments.
- Parking: Parking is available on 11th avenue at the BMW building. There is also parking on 10th avenue at the Mount Sinai garage. 57th street has parking as well. The ParkWhiz App can help find cheap daily rates.
- Wednesday Dinner: We will be having dinner at 5:30 at the Greek Kitchen. Please select your entree from the Greek Kitchen Menu.
Participants completing the Stage 2 workshop will be able to:
- Describe the variety of learning activities that student participation in HFOSS projects may include
- Implement HFOSS activities appropriate for a particular curriculum and student population
- Explain challenges and opportunities of student HFOSS participation
- Discuss key aspects of FOSS culture and process
- Use a selection of tools common in HFOSS projects
- Select an HFOSS project well-suited for student participation
- Identify key sources of information for learning about HFOSS
- Identify other participants with similar ideas about applying HFOSS
- Participate in the TOS community
- Google Drive for Activities
- Introductions - Last Name A-H
- Introductions - Last Name I-Z
- Introductions - if you can't access the Rise-up Pad
Schedule for POSSE 2019-01 in New York
Below is the schedule for the stage 2 workshop activities.
|9:00|| 1.1 Welcome
|9:45|| 1.2 HFOSS in Education
||Heidi, Joanna, Stewart|
|11:30|| 1.3 HFOSS Concepts
|1:30|| 1.4 Git Intro Activity
|3:30|| 1.5 Approaches to HFOSS Learning
|4:15|| 1.6 HFOSS in the Curriculum
|5:30||Dinner - Greek Kitchen||Optional|
|9:00|| 2.1 GitHub Workflow Activity
|Take Break When Convenient||All|
|11:00|| 2.2 Understanding FOSS Communities
|1:30|| 2.3 Project Evaluation Activity
|2:15|| 2.4 Planning for HFOSS Participation
|3:30|| 2.5 Sharing HFOSS Learning Activities
|4:45|| 2.6 Going Forward
- Server: irc.freenode.net
- Channel: #foss2serve
Standard IRC clients may not work at some workshop locations due to port blockage. If you have problems, please let the team know and try one of the Web-based IRC interfaces below.
Web-based IRC Clients
- http://webchat.freenode.net/ (has a limit from one IP)