Test Driven Development
Revision as of 17:18, 16 February 2016 by Nyeates
Examples of TDD in OSS
- Superb write up of how they do extensive testing, but its possibly not developed with TDD principles, or maybe partially.
- Written by one of the Agile Manifesto co-authors
- Very clean code, tests in /test directory
- Well-known java unit testing framwork written by Kent Beck, inventor or TDD himself
- ex of actual test code: https://github.com/junit-team/junit/blob/master/src/test/java/junit/tests/framework/AssertTest.java
Ideas and research
- Idea 1: Find a project that already has a testing harness and associated tests; learn it, and add a new unit test
- Idea 2: Create a test harness to make, build, and run unit tests on an existing open source project
- Jim Bowring has done this in the past, though it seems they are lengthy projects vs a shorter activity; Do we want to create a “project”-oriented LA?
- Teach the “mental discipline” of testing
- How can we test a Requirement?
- Ensuring testing starts at user requirement gathering
- Iterating through tests once code has been written, helps to improve the tests
- Dave thinks ManageIQ does unit testing
- Background reading:
- http://www.cs.cofc.edu/~bowring/ - course in testing
- Boris Byser - the test guru
- Kent Beck - extreme programming (ford motor)
- Info that Nick Ingalls gave me
- https://gist.github.com/ingalls/70508ec69c8e97a1c81e pseudo-code TDD
- https://github.com/substack/tape tape tap-producing test harness for node and browsers