IRC Meeting 1
IRC Meeting 1 has the following goals:
- To provide an opportunity for everyone to introduce themselves, and start to get to know a few of their fellow participants
- To allow people who have never used IRC a chance to use some basic features and see some features demonstrated
- To briefly discuss HFOSS projects
We expect that some people in the course will be quite familiar with IRC, others will have only passing familiarity, and some to have no prior experience at all. We ask that everyone participate, whether this is completely new or completely familiar.
The discussion will be informal, but to provide some structure, we will loosely follow this agenda:
- Introductions - We'll go through the list of attendees and have each person say something about themselves. A sentence or so is fine.
- Discussion of IRC basic features - team members or others present can demonstrate a few basic features. Some that might be covered include:
- Just type and press enter to say something
- IRC Commands
- Commands start with a "/"
- /help provides a pointer to command info
- /nick to set or change your nickname
- /away and /back - To mark yourself as not available or as having returned
- /me to indicate that you are performing an action (e.g., /me waves hello)
- Type someone's nick in a comment to get their attention IRC clients will typically signal, e.g., by flashing the IRC icon
- GUI IRC Clients may provide menus in place of many commands
- A more complete list: http://www.ircbeginner.com/ircinfo/ircc-commands.html
- The meetbot will create a log of the entire meeting and also a summary of the meeting
- Commands to the meetbot start with "#" and mostly control what appears in the summary
- A more complete list: http://meetbot.debian.net/Manual.html
- Questions about IRC - anyone who has questions about IRC can ask them at any point during the IRC
- Discussion of HFOSS projects - in the weeks ahead we'll be asking you to select an HFOSS project to investigate and to which you might potentially contribute. We'll use this IRC for a short discussion of the projects, perhaps including a few words about student participation in these projects in the past.
- You can also sign up for an HFOSS project on the wiki
- Good of the order
At each of the IRC meetings we'll have several of the POSSE team members to facilitate. We've asked people to sign up for different times to accommodate schedules, but also so that everyone will get to talk some without the conversation getting too confusing.
Please do jump in and try things! More than anything, the goal of this meeting is to learn and have some fun playing with IRC.
- The IRC meetings will be recorded and processed by a MeetBot.
- The meeting logs and summaries will be at http://meetbot-raw.fedoraproject.org/foss2serve/ under the date of the meeting.
- They will also be on the wiki page for the individual POSSE.
Because the meetbot was not running on 2017-05-22, the minutes for this meeting is available below: