OS Project Comparison Activity
|Title||OS Project Comparison Activity|
|Overview||In this activity, students compare and contrast different kinds of open source projects. Three projects (Android Platform, Ushahidi, RedHat) of different nature and under different licenses are introduced and students have to read the material about each project and answer specific questions for the comparison.|
* Learn the purpose of an open source project * Learn the different kinds of licenses under which projects are developed * Learn the reason a specific project is created * Learn how to contribute to an open source project
Is there background reading material?
Are there other activities the student should have done first?
What is the rational for this activity?
Include helpful hints to faculty here.
- While this activity is tailored with three specific project, it can be used for any projects of choice if there is a point of comparison.
Given the following material for three different open source projects:
- Android Development Platform
Answer the following questions:
- What is each Project about?
- Why is listed project open source?
- What kind of open project is it? ( hint: find the project license)
- How can you contribute to that specific project
Submit a report including your answers. Your answer for each of the questions should be a page to a page and half long.
How will the activity be graded?
How will learning will be measured?
Include sample assessment questions/rubrics.
What should the instructor know before using this activity?
What are some likely difficulties that an instructor may encounter using this activity?
|Knowledge Area/Knowledge Unit||Social Issues and Professional Practice/Intellectual Property|
|Topic||Foundations of the open source movement [Familiarity]|
|Level of Difficulty||Is this activity easy, medium or challenging?|
|Estimated Time to Completion||How long should it take for the student to complete the activity?|
|Materials/Environment||What does the student need? Internet access, IRC client, Git Hub account, LINUX machine, etc.?|
|Author||Who wrote this activity?|
|Source||Is there another activity on which this activity is based? If so, please provide a link to the original resource.|
|License||Under which license is this material made available? (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/)|
Suggestions for the Open Source Project:
Suggestions for an open source community member who is working in conjunction with the instructor.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License