|Title||User Experience Review|
|Overview||Students will interact with an existing open source software project, review the user experience, sketch mock-ups of how to make the software work and flow better, and document ideas for betterment of the software. Optionally: instructor can initiate contact with the open source project leaders to determine which parts of the software they would like feedback on. Then, the students can focus on those areas and contribute the best write-ups back to the open source project community.|
|Prerequisite Knowledge|| Prior to attempting this activity, students need to know
|Learning Objectives|| After completing this activity, students should
Background reading material includes:
- "The future of open source is a better user experience", by Nick Yeates, http://opensource.com/life/15/3/user-experience-open-source-future
- Possible humanatarian open source projects are listed at this site: http://www.socialcoding4good.org/
Are there other activities the student should have done first?
What is the rational for this activity?
Helpful hints for faculty:
- Might be helpful for students to conduct a FOSS Field Trip type activity, such as [OS_Project_Comparison_Activity], to learn more about this or other open source projects before working with it
- This activity can be enhanced by having the instructor develop a relationship with members of a specific open source community. This would allow opportunities such as
- Having a conference call with open source community manager to answer student questions about the project
- Having a conference call with users of the open source project that describes how they use it and what issues they have with the software
- Having the opportunity of suggestions getting accepted back into the community
What should the student do?
What will the student hand in?
How will the activity be graded?
How will learning will be measured?
Include sample assessment questions/rubrics.
What should the instructor know before using this activity?
What are some likely difficulties that an instructor may encounter using this activity?
|Knowledge Area/Knowledge Unit||What ACM Computing Curricula 2013 https://www.acm.org/education/CS2013-final-report.pdf knowledge area and units does this activity cover?|
|Topic||What specific topics are addressed? The Computing Curriucula 2013 provides a list of topics - https://www.acm.org/education/CS2013-final-report.pdf|
|Level of Difficulty||Is this activity easy, medium or challenging?|
|Estimated Time to Completion||How long should it take for the student to complete the activity?|
|Materials/Environment||What does the student need? Internet access, IRC client, Git Hub account, LINUX machine, etc.?|
|Author||Who wrote this activity?|
|Source||Is there another activity on which this activity is based? If so, please provide a link to the original resource.|
|License||Under which license is this material made available? (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/)|
Suggestions for the Open Source Project:
Suggestions for an open source community member who is working in conjunction with the instructor.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License