Wiki To Do
Natural gardens require ongoing care to stay healthy - people must water and fertilize, add new plants, prune wanted plants, remove unwanted plants, etc. Similarly, a community wiki requires ongoing care to stay healthy and useful - people must add new content, updated or remove old content, etc. This process is called wiki gardening.
This page lists things to do for the foss2serve wiki. Some are specific tasks that can be done once and removed from the list. Some are ongoing tasks that should be done regularly and kept on the list.
- create missing pages (see Special:WantedPages):
- create template(s) for Project pages - OpenMRS, Sahana, Ushahidi, etc.
- include: name, URL, brief description, category (of HFOSS), license, language(s) & technology(s), HFOSS faculty contacts
- update HFOSS Projects
- from Greg 2017-02-08: No idea what the shading is. As for the table and list: the list is the original contents. I had a student build the table and add the information off to the right – one of Heidi’s student’s worked on this as well. we should do another update pass, ensure that the table is complete and then delete the second listing. There are also a few items in there that really are not HFOSS. Those should be removed. (splitting off the stuff at the bottom into a separate page).
Ongoing Tasks - Content
- Review existing Pathways, Learning Activities, Courses, etc. and provide feedback (on the corresponding Talk page).
- Add Learning Activities.
- Add Pathways.
- Add overviews of Courses that involve HFOSS.
- Add overviews of HFOSS Projects.
Ongoing Tasks - Maintenance
- Check and fix problems with redirects, where one page links to another. Redirects enable multiple names to work when a page is renamed, or when there are several logical names for a page, but too many redirects can be confusing. Thus, when a page is renamed, it may be better in the long run to rename all links to it; to find links to a page, use [[Special:WhatLinksHere]] (near the bottom of the sidebar).
- Special:BrokenRedirects are redirects to pages that don't exist. This can happen when a page is renamed several times (e.g. Name1-->Name2-->Name3), and an intermediate name (e.g. Name2) is deleted. The prior name (e.g. Name1) is now a broken redirect.
- Special:DoubleRedirects are chains of 2 (or more) redirects (e.g. Name1-->Name2-->Name3). If both are needed, it might be better to have 2 separate redirects (e.g. Name1-->Name3 and Name2-->Name3).
- Check Special:WantedCategories, Special:WantedPages, and Special:WantedTemplates, which are items that don't exist but are referenced with links. These may be opportunities to expand the wiki. They may also be misstyped names.
- Check Special:OrphanedPages, which are pages that are not linked from other pages in the wiki. Orphans may be difficult for people to find without other navigation tools (e.g. categories).
- Check Special:DeadendPages, which are pages that do not link to other pages in the wiki. Deadends may be opportunities to expand the wiki or link other content.
- Check Special:UncategorizedCategories, Special:UncategorizedPages, and Special:UncategorizedTemplates, which may be more difficult to locate.
- Check Special:UnusedCategories and Special:UnusedTemplates.
- Check Special:LongPages, which might better be split into several smaller pages.
- Check Special:ShortPages, which might be stubs that should be expanded or removed.
- Check Special:ProtectedPages, which are pages that some users cannot edit; normally wiki pages should be editable by any user.
- Find and fix broken links to other sites (use a tool like http://deadlinkchecker.com or http://brokenlinkcheck.com).