FOSS in Courses 2 (Instructors)
FOSS in Courses 2
Learner will identify 1-3 HFOSS topics and/or learning ideas for a course.
Completion of FOSS in Courses 1 (Instructors)
|Learning Objectives||After successfully completing this activity, the learner should be able to:
|Process Skills Practiced|
This activity is an extension of FOSS in Courses 1 (Instructors). The goal of this activity is to have a 1-3 topics and/or learning ideas to bring for discussion to the workshop and receive feedback on. We do not expect that these activities/ideas will be completely fleshed out, but to provide an initial starting point to think about.
- Recalling your list of activities/topics from FOSS in Courses 1 (Instructors), identify the ways that these FOSS activities/topics can be structured. Possibilities include:
- In-class activity
- Stream of related activities
- List the revised activities on your wiki page. For each activity/topic:
- Identify some possible learning outcomes that should be fulfilled with the activities/task.
- Describe any prerequisite knowledge needed to complete the activity. This does not need to be a complete list.
- Estimate the time required for instructor prep, for student completion and elapsed calendar time. Are you going to have to synchronize your activity with the community or can the activity/topic be covered independent of the HFOSS community schedule.
- Think about possible input required from the HFOSS community. How much input is required and what kind?
- If the result of the activity is contributed back to the HFOSS project, describe the contribution and its usefulness.
- Describe the assessment/grading approach - What will the basis for grading be? Will this be a team activity or individual? Is there a role for the HFOSS community in helping assess student work? For instance, must the work be committed or otherwise accepted by the community?
- List any questions or concerns that you have about the activity/task.
- List any stumbling blocks or barriers to carrying out the activity/task.
POSSE: An entry on your foss2serve user wiki page that includes a list of 1-3 HFOSS topics and/or learning ideas for a course.
Notes for Instructors
The remaining sections of this document are intended for the instructor. They are not part of the learning activity that would be given to students.
- How will the activity be graded?
- How will learning will be measured?
- Include sample assessment questions/rubrics.
|Criteria||Level 1 (fail)||Level 2 (pass)||Level 3 (good)||Level 4 (exceptional)|
- What should the instructor know before using this activity?
- What are some likely difficulties that an instructor may encounter using this activity?
| ACM Body of Knowledge
Area & Unit(s)
|Environment / Materials||
Access to Internet/Web and web browser.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License
Suggestions for Open Source Community
Suggestions for an open source community member who is working in conjunction with the instructor.