Exercise 2: Evaluate Opportunities for Incorporating HFOSS in your Program
Goal: The objective of this exercise is to match some of the ideas for learning activities created in exercise 1 with particular courses in your curriculum (or other opportunities outside of class).
- Select some of the learning activities identified in the first exercise and match them to your program. For each learning activity you should identify a particular course or other opportunity where you could use that activity with students.
- Analyze the pros and cons of using HFOSS for education with respect to the opportunities selected in step 1. For each opportunity, identify the advantages and disadvantages for various stakeholders, starting with the list below. Modify the list of stakeholders as appropriate.
- Academic institution as a whole
- HFOSS community
- Professional community
- Identify the resources that are needed to implement the HFOSS effort(s) examined in the previous step. Below are listed a few categories of resources. What others are there?
- Technical resources
- Social resources (e.g., connections with HFOSS organizations)
- Identify the major roadblocks to implementing the HFOSS effort(s) examined in step 2. Below are a few categories.
- Result: examples of HFOSS opportunities with a discussion of expected pros, cons, needed resources and roadblocks.
- Create a page on the HumIT wiki to capture your group’s results.