Stage 2 Activities/Stage 3 Planning - OpenMRS Team 1
- Dale <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Ron <email@example.com>
- George <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Tom <email@example.com>
- Janet <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Planning an Initial HFOSS Learning Activity
Please discuss and record your group's approach for an initial learning activity. When you have a good draft description of the learning activity using the sections below, you could create a learning activity page for it by copying the Learning Activity Format with Directions.
Course targeted for the activity
- Software Engineering
Brief description of the activity
- Students read coding conventions associated with the project -- for example in OpenMRS
- Students review 1 or more samples of code to see how close sample(s) are to conventions
- Possible follow-up activity could be fixing the code and submitting it
Time you expect the HFOSS activity to take
- One homework assignment
Relationship of this activity to course goals/objectives
- Learn about coding conventions
- Get practice reading existing code
- Experience with code from large code base
What students will submit upon completion of the activity
- Using a template supplied, students will turn in written analysis of the code sample
Approach for assessing the student work
- Instructor supplies rubric that could include number of violations and some discussion of the seriousness of the violations
Questions or concerns you have about implementing your activity
- How much knowledge will students need about the FOSS project (e.g. OpenMRS)
- How much knowledge will the students need about the language
- The size of the conventions list
- How much code will be given
- How much instructor time will be required to find the the code samples
Support you will need to implement your activity
- Input from the project community about good sources of the code
Planning Stage 3 Activities
We are joining the OpenMRS POSSE Alumni Google Group to keep in touch. That will be our primary (for now) method for setting up future meetings.
<What will various group members do.>
- Janet will try fleshing out the rubric based on her prior experience with a somewhat similar assignment.
- George will use this assignment in his fall SE class.
- Dale hopes to use this assignment in his fall OODI class.
<List any resources that you find>
Prior related POSSE groups, if any: