TeamMeeting 2013 01 Notes
OpenFE Team Meeting
This document contains lightly edited notes taken on-the-fly during a team meeting.
Big Picture Goals
- Lots of students working on HFOSS projects in collaboration with professionals
- Groups of faculty and students that are core contributors of HFOSS projects
Create a matrix for evaluation:
- Key evaluation questions - questions that are on our minds. What is it that we want to know?
- Data collection procedures - How do we find this out?
- Measures - What are the metrics? How do you know that X has been accomplished?
Comprehensive Model for Faculty Development:
- How does this map to activities?
- Developing Comprehensive Model wasn't in the original grant, but it's a product - Related to Task 1.1
Measuring Student Learning and Engagement
- Need to be flexible about where students will engage in FOSS during their education.
- Could be within class but could also be outside a class or other extra-curricular activity
- Need to be able measure outside classroom learning as well as "incidental" learning (i.e., learning that is not directly related to topic in classoorm)
- Will this type of learning be valued as much as inside classroom?
- Values in the curriculum models
- Problem solving
- Soft skills
- Model how faculty can engage students in FOSS
- Use trace data and make social sense of small group online activities to determine spectrum of success to failure of a community
- When group participants get information about other group participants, that is motivating
- Group informatics works to provide this
Project Evaluator: John Sener John brings evaluation experience including serving as evaluator on other NSF projects. Background highlights:
- On-line education
- NSF project evaluation including TUES and ATE
- Background in community colleges
- SLOAN Consortium
- View of evaluator as liaison between what was written in the grant and what work actually got carried out.
Goals, Objectives and Tasks
- If we were creating the proposal now, we would probably include an Objective 3.3 which would include designing and delivering a series of out-of-class/extra-curriculuar activities
- Goals 1.x map into HFOSS Faculty Development Model (new version in Dropbox with components annotated with goals)
Schedule of Tasks
Goal 1.1 Extend and refine POSSE curriculum - May 1, Participants: Coordinator - HE; All
- Need intermediate milestones
- Dates to freeze curriculum for review, review, feedback and revision
- May 1 final date for pre-POSSE activities and also evaluation
Goal 1.2 Enlist prospective POSSE participants to contribute to review and refinement of instructor preparation approach. mid-April, LP
- People who might be interested include: Alyce Brady, Revi Sterling, Clif Kussmaul,...
- Date dependent on timeline set on 1.1
Goal 3.1 Develop an online environment to support the instructor learning groups. Mid-May
- Hire student - mid Jan
- Ensemble evaluated by end of Jan
- Integrate with Drupal (Moodle)
Goal 3.2 Facilitate connection with HFOSS projects and instructors.
- Outreach to HFOSS community - make ourselves visible in community -
- Join an HFOSS community and make ourselves known - All
- On the TOS list
- Move towards an HFOSS directory - end of February
- Michelle evaluate projects/GH, SJ
- Contact large humanitarian FOSS projects for other large players - what are these? - GH, HE
- Plan for how to push the directory forward
- Blog post - copy NSF program director
- Get someone from an HFOSS project to come to the SIGCSE materials sprint
- TOS: Anyone from active HFOSS project going to SIGCSE?
- Can RedHat send someone to participate?
- How do we set milestones for this?
Goal 5.1 Select several HFOSS projects and foster OpenFE participation in those projects.- All
- End of January everyone have a project that they're connected to
Goal 2.1 Conduct a POSSE workshop - May/June
- sometime the week of June 3rd - perhaps Monday/Tuesday? Drexel? Sean prefers Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday (front of week)
- 20 attendees
- arrangements GH
- publicity DB - end of Jan
- Handouts for SIGCSE
- Announcements on TOS
- Other Recruitment
- Locate instructors - GH/HE
- Possible interest: 1. RedHat, 2. TOS, 3. Joanie - invite other HFOSS folks?
Goal 2.2 Create instructor learning groups for professional development attendees - SG Goal 4.1 Collect and package existing FOSS instructional materials
- May 1 for pre-POSSE activities finalized
- LP, SJ (lead), HE (help), DB
- TOS: Possible interested people include: Clif Kussmaul, Matt Jadud, Luis Ibanez
- Align "Activity Template" with EdRepo - LP
- Need to check for overlap with POSSE curriculum development
Goal 4.4 Pilot test OpenFE activities for the CS Principles course - GH (Tammy Pirman) Goal 5.2 Create collaborations with domain experts and FOSS experts and actively advance some smaller, newer HFOSS projects.
- GNOME MouseTrap
- Perhaps Karl's museum project (too early to know)
- Explore partnering with Revi to identify possible HFOSS projects to create
- What other projects could we as foss2serve create/generate?
- Follow-up with Jon Preston about educational games
Faculty Workshop Planning
- Workshop Preparation
- Need location to post answers publicaly (see pre-workshop)
- Need to have environment configured by May 1
- Require people to pick a project before starting?
- Limit participation to N people projects
- Pre-Workshop - done by end of January
- Define the process for workshop and pre-work - HE
- Allow faculty to have anonymous handles to diminish fear of failing publicly
- 12-15 hours of pre-work
- Use evaluation to provide evidence that an activity has been completed
- Have participants post answers to group location where others can review
- Phrase the pre-stuff as an onramp rather than a set of tasks or hurdles to complete
- Should there be a schedule? Including milestones when various things are due?
- Decide which activities are "critical" and which are optional - HE
- Critical activities must be completed before the workshop
- Scaffold activities - give a date by which wiki must be done
- Emphasize the communication tools first
- Use communication tools to provide entre into the community so that community can support learning
- IRC, Wiki, Piratepad, listserv,
- Identify sources for pre-workshop activities - HE
- Complete the activity template - LP - match to Dublin Core standards - GH get LP a list of Dublin core terms - http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/edrepo/index.php?title=Metadata_Recommendation_Match-ups
- Complete 1-2 more pre-workshop activities - SJ
- Define the process for workshop and pre-work - HE
- Curriculum topics need to be reviewed and finalized - HE/GH
- How do you take advantage of having everyone together?
- How do you get people to work together?
- Need to see what we have for FOSS instructors and possible materials
- People who might be interested include: Greg Dek, Mel, Karsten Joanie, Luis
- Need to reschedule phone call with MRC - HE/GH
- Share back
- Evaluation of experience
- Download and install project related to small group
- How do we organize project management?
- Look at some project management tools: RedMine, Asana, Trac? - GH/SJ
- Contact TOS originators to talk about changing the wiki - need higher permissions
- Involve TOS community in the effort
- Delay until the end of first quarter - or perhaps discuss at Pre-SIGCSE event?
- Need to find the right publication community
- Need strong evaluation outcomes to support more research-oriented publications
- Definitely SIGCSE, FIE, CCSC, ICSE, CSEET, Sloan?,
- SIGCSE paper submitted August 2013 on MouseTrap
- Create a publication plan - HE/GH
To Do List
|Contact NSF Program Officer for OpenFE||HE/GH||1/7/13||Done|
|Post SIGCSE workshop to TOS||HE||1/7/13||Pending|
|Keep log of OpenFE activities||All||Continuing|
|Need a page/section on the wiki that enumerates the different opportunities for FOSS such including the extra-curricular activities||DB/LP||2/28/13|
|Investigate possibility of instrumenting Ensemble site||SG||??|
|Create evaluation instrument for workshop - Want an immediate instrument and one for 6-12 months (?) post||JS/GH||5/1/13|
|Create evaluation for post workshop activities to measure community||JS/SG||6/1/13|
|Create evaluation instrument for Pre-SIGCSE event||JS/HE||3/1/2013|
|Create evaluation for MouseTrap participants||JS/HE/DB||2/1/2013|
|Create a visual map of Goals/Objectives to Activities||JS||6/1/2013|
- John's book: http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Futures-American-Education-Screen-Captured/dp/146797336X
- Contributor Mountain: http://quaid.fedorapeople.org/TOS/Practical_Open_Source_Software_Exploration/html/sn-Introduction_to_Free_and_Open_Source_Software-Climbing_Contributor_Mountain.html
- Dublin Core meta-data mapping:
- GNOME Newcommer's Tutorial
Items in Dropbox
- Grant Proposal added "DescriptionOpenFE - submitted.doc"
- Diagram added "HFOSS Faculty Development Model_V2.doc"
- Goal annotated diagram added "HFOSS Faculty Development Model_V2_G1.doc"